Thursday, November 11, 2010

Introduction!

I still haven't "come out of the broom closet" so this blog will remain anonymous.  I won't ever say my real name, but the Goddess/deity that most speaks to me is Aradia, so that is what I will call myself on here.  It may even become my Wiccan name, if I choose to have one.

Anyway, I am very new to Paganism, and it's the one religion that has ever really spoken to me.

I was raised Catholic.  I even went to Catholic school for elementary school.  It never really made sense to me.  I didn't like the bible, couldn't relate to a male God that was just... just, so vengeful.  I did, however, love Mary!  I loved saying the "Hail Mary" and I liked saying the rosary prayer, just because of all the Hail Mary's involved.  :-)

I discovered at a fairly young age that I am politically liberal.  Therefore, bible-based religions (Judaism, Christianity) just aren't for me.  I believe in pre-marital sex, gay marriage, and abortion.  (Not that I'm saying that any of those things are equal to or related to the other.)  Most "mainstream" religions told me that by believing all of those things (which to me are just basic human rights that everyone should have) would send me to Hell. 

I was determined to find a religion that fit with my beliefs.  Heaven and Hell... I wasn't buying it.  I don't know why;  I was raised by Catholics, the "fear of God" had been drilled in my head since birth.

But I didn't fear God!  I wanted to love him or her, wanted to believe that love was the way, not fear.

I did look into Buddhism for awhile, mostly as a scapegoat.  I wanted a God-less religion, and thought I had found it.  A lot of Buddhists that I spoke with didn't necessarily believe in "God" but looked inward for all answers.  That sounded amazing to me;  I began to practice meditation.

I loved meditation!  But I did feel like God/Goddess was surrounding me whenever I meditated!!  I couldn't figure it out.  Did the "christian" God want me back? 

I decided to ignore that, and to focus on the other aspects of life for awhile.  I became an atheist/agnostic.

I have been a proud atheist/agnostic for years now, claiming "science" as my religion.  But I've come to find out that I don't have to choose between science and religion.

Nature is science, science is nature.  Paganism/Wicca is about Nature.  At least, that's the type of Witch that I intend to be. 

I plan to start with the basics, reading as much as I can about Wicca and Paganism, but mostly following my own heart.  I don't feel a need to have a label other than "witch".  I'm not sure if my beliefs all fit into any one mold.

I will be using this blog to chronicle my humble beginnings into the Craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment